Extension Cords Safety Tips
Extension cords are one of the most commonly misused items in a home and at the office. To ensure safety use these following tips when using extension cords.
- Determine the correct wattage required to power the device and be sure to select the correct size of the extension cord. If connecting two or more devices, add together the wattage rating for all devices to prevent overload.
- Select the appropriate extension cord for using devices indoor or outdoor.
- Do not use extension cords that are cut or damaged. Touching the exposed strand of wire can give someone electric shock or burn.
- Be sure to unplug extension cords when finished using due to the cord will still conduct electricity until it is unplugged.
- Running a cord under carpet or across a doorway is unsafe.